With marijuana recently becoming legalized in the state of Colorado, cannabis-infused treats such as pastries, sweets, and other edibles are becoming more readily available. But these are meant for humans. So what should you do if your pet accidentally eats pot-infused food?
If it has been less than thirty minutes since your pet got into your selection of “special” snacks, you can try to induce vomiting by using activated charcoal – an orally-administered liquid that can be found at most drugstores. If more time has passed, then the drug has already been mostly absorbed into the bloodstream, which will make trying to induce vomiting pointless.
At this point, your pet will begin to exhibit the typical symptoms of ingesting cannabis, which include, but are not limited to: dilated pupils, dehydration, a rapid heartbeat, and difficulty walking. In extreme cases, your pet may have seizures. If this happens, PLEASE call your vet. Although most animals will feel better within 24 hours, if your pet is dehydrated or experiencing seizures, it will need special attention and IV fluids. Also, pay special care and keep pot-infused chocolate completely unreachable if you have a dog – chocolate contains ingredients that are toxic to dogs, and could kill your pet.
In any case, if you find your dog or cat or ferret has gotten accidentally eaten something they shouldn’t have (or if you are unsure, but they are having any of the symptoms listed above), the safest bet will always be to call your vet. Although legal here in Colorado, some people worry that marijuana still carries a certain social stigma. But believe us, your veterinarian will not care about your lifestyle – their priority is your pet’s health and safety.